Wiggle Your Toes is a 501 ( c) (3) nonprofit foundation dedicated to helping Amputees and their families regain independence and mobility.
As a result of an automobile accident on January 2, 2007, Aaron Holm, founder of Wiggle Your Toes Inc., unexpectedly became a bi-lateral , above the knee amputee. Through the diligence of his friends and family, within hours of the accident a recovery plan was in place. The plan included:
- Legal: Interviews were conducted with 3 attorneys, at the hospital, within hours of the accident. It allowed the attorney selected to recover critical evidence from the accident scene – and more importantly track down the individual that hit Aaron to receive a confession; which was invaluable in the civil case that followed.
- Remodeling of the home: A plan was drawn up in the hospital to prepare the house for Aaron’s return home two weeks after the accident. Because Aaron would come home in a wheelchair, the plan included ramps, chair lifts (in order to get to the second story living areas), modifications to the bathroom(s), widening of doors (accessibility via wheelchair) etc. An elevator was eventually installed in the home.
- Transportation: A wheelchair accessible van was leased. This would not only allow ease of transporting Aaron from the hospital to the home, but to physical therapy, medical appointments, etc. Within weeks Aaron was driving the vehicle using hand controls and able to attend meetings and appointments independently.
- Finance: Including a medical payment plan, Insurance, employment matters (disability), etc.
- Medical equipment: Wheelchairs, crutches and shower chair.
- Therapy: identify a therapist that has worked with amputees, had knowledge of the C-Leg, and that can work with the teams expectations / recovery plan.
- Prosthetists: Several interviews were conducted at the hospital for Orthotics and Prosthetics companies. Quite often the hospital has teamed with an individual or an organization. A large percentage of individuals assume that this is the only choice. Aaron’s recovery team interviewed many, checked references / background and selected, as a group, who they thought was the best match. The fitting of the socket is critical to your success. Choosing the right match, not just the most convenient, is key.
- Prosthetics: Identified and selected the best prosthetic fit for Aaron’s active lifestyle.
Everyone on the recovery team knew that there was a lot to accomplish in the short time. The success of this plan by his recovery team allowed Aaron to:
- Begin physical therapy within a week after the accident
- Return Home to his wife and children within two weeks after the accident
- Begin preparing for prosthesis within three months
- Walk within five months
- Play golf within six months
- Return to work full-time within seven months
- Play 24 rounds of golf, in several different states, within nine months
Aaron was very fortunate to have a recovery team in place. It allowed him to focus on what was important, recovery – and it worked! Our goal at Wiggle Your Toes Inc. is to share our processes, through referral with individuals and families of individuals who have experienced limb loss.